The Official Around the Mountains Cycle Trail Website
The Around The Mountains Cycle Trail will open on 1st November 2014
The Around The Mountains Cycle Trail offers the best of easy back country cycling in the beautiful environs of Queenstown and Northern Southland.
For the Summer of 2014 /15 the trail will begin with a bus trip from Queenstown down to the trail start in Kingston, the little township on the southern shores of Lake Wakatipu. You will circumnavigate the Eyre Mountains by bike finishing on the shores of Lake Wakatipu at Walter Peak Homestead. Your adventure continues will a boat trip across Lake Wakatipu on the historic steam ship, the TSS Earnslaw, ending up back in the southern jewel of Queenstown.
The trail encompasses stunning views, historic towns, farmland, lakeside biking and alpine vistas. You cycle alongside rivers, through the native tussock lands of Walter Peak and Mt Nicholas Station, home of Icebreaker merino clothing. Your ride will start in New Zealand’s premium tourist resort of Queenstown and finish at Walter Peak Station returning by the TSS Earnslaw to Queenstown.
- Sherpa Shuttle from Queenstown down the edge of Lake Wakatipu to Kingston
- Stay at small rural townships and have a beer with the locals
- Sherpa Shuttle backcountry roads into bushclad Lake Mavora
- Explore a working high country station
- Steam across Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand’s only historic steamship
From November 1st 2014 the following services will be availalble:
- Choice of multi-day independent riding, supported or fully guided trips
- Bike hire, Sherpa shuttles, luggage transfer and free accommodation booking service
- Choice of independent, supported or guided single day or weekend rides, either from Kingston or Walter Peak Station.