The Official Around the Mountains Cycle Trail Website
Guided & Independent Cycling Adventures
The Around The Mountains Cycle Trail offers the best of easy back country cycling in the beautiful environs of Queenstown and Northern Southland.
For the Summer of 2013 /14 the trail will begin with a bus trip from Queenstown down to the trail start in Kingston, the little township on the southern shores of Lake Wakatipu. You can start your ride with a trip on the historic Kingston Flier steam train before carrying on to circumnavigate the Eyre Mountains to finish at Walter Peak Station. You will then take a boat trip across Lake Wakatipu on the historic steam ship, the TSS Earnslaw, to finish back in the southern jewel of Queenstown.
The trail encompasses stunning views, historic towns, farmland, lakeside biking and alpine vistas. You cycle alongside rivers, through the native tussock lands of Walter Peak and Mt Nicholas Station, home of Icebreaker merino clothing. Your ride will start in New Zealand’s premium tourist resort of Queenstown and finish at Walter Peak Station returning by the TSS Earnslaw to Queenstown.
- Sherpa Shuttle from Queenstown down the edge of Lake Wakatipu to Kingston
- Start your ride from Kingston on board the famous Kingston Flyer steam train
- Stay at small rural townships and have a beer with the locals
- Sherpa Shuttle backcountry roads into bushclad Lake Mavora
- Explore a working high country station
- Steam across Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand’s only historic steamship
From December 1st 2013 the following services will be availalble:
- Choice of multi-day independent riding, supported or fully guided trips
- Bike hire, Sherpa shuttles, luggage transfer and free accommodation booking service
- Choice of independent, supported or guided single day or weekend rides, either from Kingston or Walter Peak Station.