The Official Around the Mountains Cycle Trail Website
The Around The Mountains Cycle Trail will be taking bookings for Multi-day riding from 1st November 2014
The Around The Mountains Cycle Trail offers the best of easy back country cycling in the beautiful environs of Queenstown and Northern Southland.
For this Summer (November 1st 13 to April 30th 14) you can sample the Trail by either doing our guided one day ride from Walter Peak homestead to Mavora Lakes and return or by doing an independent ride from Walter Peak homestead. For more information on these ride options please click on our Our Rides tab.
Currently, for the Summer of 2014 /15 the multi-day trail will begin with a bus trip from Queenstown down to the trail start in Kingston, the little township on the southern shores of Lake Wakatipu. You will circumnavigate the Eyre Mountains by bike finishing on the shores of Lake Wakatipu at Walter Peak Homestead. Your adventure continues will a boat trip across Lake Wakatipu on the historic steam ship, the TSS Earnslaw, ending up back in the southern jewel of Queenstown.
The trail encompasses stunning views, historic towns, farmland, lakeside biking and alpine vistas. You cycle alongside rivers, through the native tussock lands of Walter Peak and Mt Nicholas Station, home of Icebreaker merino clothing. Your ride will start in New Zealand’s premium tourist resort of Queenstown and finish at Walter Peak Station returning by the TSS Earnslaw to Queenstown.
- Sherpa Shuttle from Queenstown down the edge of Lake Wakatipu to Kingston
- Stay at small rural townships and have a beer with the locals
- Sherpa Shuttle backcountry roads into bushclad Lake Mavora
- Explore a working high country station
- Steam across Lake Wakatipu in New Zealand’s only historic steamship
The following services will be available:
- Choice of multi-day independent riding, supported or fully guided trips
- Bike hire, Sherpa shuttles, luggage transfer and free accommodation booking service
- Choice of independent, supported or guided single day or weekend rides, either from Kingston or Walter Peak Station.