Wheels and Reels accommodation is situated in Mossburn on the busy gateway route into Fiordland and the busy Milford Sound. Centred on the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail we offer great accommodation and a comprehensive shuttle service for cyclists across the entire trail.
Dubbed the ‘venison capital of the world’, Mossburn was named by surveyor J.T. Thompson after Mossburn in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
The location of New Zealand’s first deer farm in 1972, agriculture continues to be the main industry with many large dairy farms now established.
A turbine wind farm spins high on nearby White Hill, while the Eyre Mountains are aptly known in Maori as ‘Taka Ra Haka’, meaning the sun setting or dancing on the mountain tops at the end of the day.
Home to a population of 210, Mossburn has a wind farm viewpoint, accommodation and cafes, a community swimming pool, fire station, petrol station, community centre, church and hall.
Dome Cafe offers great food, lovely coffee and friendly staff. A small family run cafe, with all food made onsite. We can cater for individual dietary requirements and packed lunches.
We are a historic hotel, built in 1922, in the heart of Southland. Our hotel dates back to 1886 and has a colourful history as a local pub. Located on the main road between Queenstown and Te Anau, we offer a formal dining area, a friendly bar and a lovely garden bar.
Welcome to Mossburn Country Park, a privately owned holiday park run by Colleen and Stuart and their much-loved Labrador, Andrew. Enjoy a relaxed and quiet 28 acre farm setting complete with hand-reared farm animals for all guests to enjoy. Located 3.3km from Mossburn (cycle trail entrance) on SH 97, this is the perfect stopover point approximately halfway between Queenstown and Te Anau. It's an ideal anglers base central to many fishing rivers and lakes.
Bracken Hall is a cafe and gift shop situated on the main street of Mossburn. It is a popular stop over for travellers between Queenstown and Te Anau and also cyclists on the Around The Mountains Cycle Trail. We are open seven days from 8.30am to 5.30pm during the summer months of October to April, and from 9am to 5pm during winter. Our menu includes breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon tea. We also have a gluten-free or vegetarian option available. Takeaway lunches or snacks are available by arrangment. We provide home-made tasty food including our famous venison pies, all served by our friendly staff.