Walter Peak Cycling - Independent
About this Ride
With this non-guided cycling option, cyclists cruise across Lake Wakatipu on board the TSS Earnslaw and then explore the very scenic back roads by themselves using their own mountain bikes (or independently hired).
We provide a small map and a food/beverage voucher that can be redeemed either on board the TSS Earnslaw or at the Colonel’s Homestead, Walter Peak.
Upon completion of the ride independent cyclists need to ensure they make the return cruises back to Queenstown on the TSS Earnslaw vintage steamship as there is no accommodation available at Walter Peak.
- Quiet back country road through mostly gently rolling terrain
- Suitable for experienced cyclists only
- Moderate fitness recommended
- TSS Earnslaw return cruise departure times from Walter Peak
Please note: Mountain bikes can easily be hired in Queenstown from Outside Sports. With this option cyclists need to be fully self sufficient with food/drink etc and well equipped in terms of gear and clothing as the cycling route along the Back Road is remote and there are no shops or other services. Safety helmets must be worn on the road and cyclists must not enter adjoining privately owned farmland. There is no accommodation on this western side of Lake Wakatipu, so it is important cyclists ensure they make their return cruise back to Queenstown.
- Departures from Queenston: 12:00noon (all year*), 10.00am and 2.00pm (mid Oct - mid Apr)
- Return cruise departures from Walter Peak: 4.45pm (all year*), 2.45pm (mid Oct - mid Apr)
- Duration: Cruise approx 45 minutes each way, cycling - its up to you!
- Prices from: $70 adult return $22 child (10-14) return
The TSS Earnslaw will be on survey from late May - early July 2013 and during this period departures do not operate.