Southland is a nature lover's playground - a virtually untouched wilderness known for its rare and unique wildlife.
- Some of the region's best nature excursion include:Meet 115 year old Tuatara, Henry, at the world's leading Tuatara breeding centre - the Southland Museum and Art Gallery
- Stewart Island, home to the iconic kiwi, robin, tui, dotterel and kaka
- Ulva Island, a dream destination for bird lvoers. Explore the island sanctuary and discover our most rare and endangered native birdlife including the Mohua/Yellowhead and the Saddleback
- The Catlins marine life includes Yellow-Eyed Penguins, Hector's dolphin, New Zealand Sea Lion and Fur Seals
- Go hiking in the high country and keep a look out for giant snails
For more detailed information on all the the incredible wildlife throughout the Southland region, visit southlandnz.com